The Bangabandhu Gold Cup football is an international Football tournament that Bangladesh Football Fedararion (BFF) is organizing since 1996 to show tribute to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibar Rahman, the father of Nation. But only two editions have thus far been played. In January, 2015, BFF has arranged this tournament for the 3rd time. In this year, six nations-Bangladesh, Thailand, Bahrain, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Singapore participated in the tournament. Bangladesh and Sri Lankan national teams played in this tournament and other four nations sent their under -22 and under-21 team. The host Bangladesh ended up as runners-up.
Football is one the most popular sports of the country. During 1980s, football was the most popular sports in Bangladesh. But from 90s, the popularity of football along with its standard has been declining gradually due to mismanagement, financial crisis among football clubs, political interferences and also the increasing popularity of cricket.
Kazi Salauddin, Salam Murshedi, Rumi, Kaisar Hamid-these names remind us the golden time of country’s football and still these names remain bright in every Bangladeshi football fans’ heart. Thousands of people would gather in stadium to enjoy the historic race between Mohammedan and Abahani –the two most popular clubs in the country. Read the stories behind the tournament here: Stories behind Bangabandhu Gold Cup.
Though the popularity of football has declined but still the people love football as much as cricket. During football world cup, it is seen that the whole country is decorated with thousands of colorful flags by the supporters of various teams. All kinds of people from every class enjoy every match with great enthusiasm. Still now, whenever any international tournament is arranged in the country, every inch of the stadium become full with crowd. This shows how Bangladeshi love football.
But it really disheartens us whenever we think about our football as its standard has been degrading regularly. Regarding this fact, BFF has taken some steps and is trying to develop the standard of football. To revitalize country’s football, it needs a big investment and sponsorship. Many local brands have already come forward regarding this fact. Recently Channel-9 has become the title sponsor of Bangabandhu Gold Cup for the next five years. Apart from the prime sponsors, Beximco Group, Hamim Group, National Bank, AB Bank, Modhumoti Bank, Novoair and Biman Bangladesh Airlines are also the sponsors of this six nations tournament.
Bangladesh team played well in the tournament and reached the final. The players gave their best in the final math as well. Country’s football lovers hope that the football will regain its golden age through this tournament and will go ahead to be a great source of joy and pride.
Real estate companies cut apartment prices by 11 percent on average in order to boost the depressed property market. A study shows that at present, the price of each square foot on average is Tk 9,091.
According to the managing Director of Sheltech , the apartment prices is 25 percent cheaper now as this sector has gone through a price correction process in the last three years. In Dhaka, each square foot of flat would sell at Tk 12,273 in 2012 and this price came down to Tk. 11,136 in 2013 and Tk. 10,182 in 2014 The study also shows that about 20,000 units of flats still remain unsold throughout the Dhaka city in which the flats in Uttara and Mirpur remain as most unsold. Banani experienced the highest price fall from previous year marking at 15.58 percent, Uttara and Shantinagar at 14.28 percent, and both Mohammadpur and Kalabagan at 12.5 percent. The flat at Mirpur and Shyamoli are being sold at Tk5500 per sft while Baridhara’s flats sell at the highest price at Tk18000 per sft. According to Real Estate and Housing Association of Bangladesh, the sector sales fell 60 percent in 2013.
The land price in Dhaka city also fell on average 14.12 percent as each katha is being sold at Tk.1.94 crore on average down from Tk.2.26 crore in 2014. The price of each katha in Baridhara is 4.5 crore while Badda and Basabo’s price is the lowest at Tk.35 lakh only. Now realtors incline to take big project instead of small projects because small projects increase their cost but in big project, developers can manage material at bulk rate and utilize the resources more efficiently which reduce the cost. With the increasing of people in the city, about 120000 household units need to accommodate them. The supply of housing in the city is only about 2500 of which 15000 are built by the real estate companies and top 20 companies have 80 percent share.
About 36 lakh people are related directly and indirectly to this sector which contribute about 7 percent to GDP of the country.
Bangladesh emerged as a democratic country on the world map in 1971 after it won the nine months long liberation war against Pakistan. At present, about 160 million people live here in the total area of about 1,47,570 km.
Here is a list of five good thinks that you should know about Bangladesh:
1. Bangladesh is truly a riverine country, surrounded by an assortment of rivers including the Padma, the Meghna, the Jamuna, the Buriganga. Moreover it owns -Cox’s Bazar-, the longest sea beach in the world. This is the best thing that one could possibly ask for in terms of relaxation and tourism. The beach is always crowded with tourists. Another magnificent thing in terms of nature is the Sundarbans. This largest mangrove forest of the south west at the moment is the residence of above 400 Royal Bengal tigers.
2. Bangladesh has an extraordinary variation when it comes to seasons. This land in fact is a playground of a range of seasons. All of its six seasons embellish surroundings in a whole new manner which is a complete souvenir. Each of the seasons comes with abundant fruits, vegetables and breathtaking stunning weather.
3. Bangladesh is a land full of vivid celebrations. Is has rich historical and cultural presence. Bangladeshi people celebrate cultural and traditional festivals throughout the year. Bangladeshis are very apprehensive about preserving their customs. The Bengali New Year, known as Pahela Boishakh that comes on 14th April, is one of the most colorful and widely celebrated events of the year. Besides, there are other events such as Pahela Falgun (beginning of spring),Pithapuli Uthshob ,Nabanna uthshob (celebration in favor of the new crops) etc. The Biggest religious events are Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr”,”Eid-ul-Azha,Durga puja and Christmas. Although majority of the people are Muslims, there is a number of Hindu, Christian and Buddhist people living in Bangladesh. All of the religious events are more or less given equal priority and are celebrated by all that makes the occasions even more delightful.
4. Bangladeshi people are very much friendly and helpful. Foreigners who come to visit Bangladesh often admire hospitality and share the story of how much hardworking & caring they are. This is one of the reasons why tourists love to visit this land over and over again. A significant thing is – Bangladeshis live in joint families. It is in their culture not to live separately, they like it to be together. It is very rare & unusual for someone to live alone or separate from one’s family. This binding leads them to respect the elders and to be friendly with others.
5. The country is rich in agriculture. It is the rivers that fertile the soil and makes it eligible to grow various crops easily. Thus it has made a good industry on rice, tea jute etc. Garments and leather products are the major export earning sectors. Its garment products fulfill the necessity of many of the European countries including USA. Once Muslin and Jamdani clothes were used as luxurious garments in Europe & other countries which were weaved by Bengali weavers. Since then this industry has been expanding and supplying quality clothes worldwide.
The goodness of Bangladesh does not end here. For the visitors, plentiful of sites are there that should not be missed. Such as Nilgiri, Rangamati, Srimongol(tea garden), Bandarban and many more. Rickshaw, which is a tri-cycle, is another popular yet enjoyable ride readily available in all cities.